Soneff’s Master Garage got its start in 1965 in Downtown Denver after John Soneff purchased what is now known as the Denver Tramway Building. SMG was originally a storage garage with a small mechanical area located on the main floor. Denver Urban Renewal decided it was best to tear down this historic building, forcing SMG to relocate to 1750 Welton Street.
John built a reputable service business, and after a few years, he received an offer to sell from a large developer to build what is now the Grand Hyatt hotel. John relocated again to 1437 California Street directly across from the “Denver Post” building. This building was where John began building his legacy with old cars as he built an incredible client base all across the United States.
In the early 70’s, John had an opportunity to get a much larger and better equipped facility. As such, the business relocated again to 2156 Curtis street. When the business continued to grow, John purchased the 25,000 SF building behind 2165 Curtis. It was originally a magnificent 4-story structure that burned to the ground in the 1930’s, saving only the main floor’s exterior walls. The building got a new roof and structural floor, To this day, it serves as a storage and auto repair building.